Practice some preventative medicine everyday with deep breathing.
The more you just let yourself slow down and take those deep breaths, the more your body produces nitric oxide, the invisible gas that is found in the lining of the blood vessels. When this flows, it helps the blood vessels widen, and this sends out a cascade of nutrients to the organs, the heart, the brain.
It’s also been shown that just regularly thinking positive, affirming thoughts gets this chemical reaction to turn on in the body.
So have fun often, hang out with like-minded people, and practice your deep breathing. (And you are eating good stuff these days, right?)
Here are some breath practices to get the NO moving–
If you’re feeling a little low on energy try the “Sun-Piercing” breath:
- With the right hand, close the left nostril, and breathe in through the right nostril. Hold both nostrils closed for a second or two, then breathe out through the left nostril.
- Close both nostrils, then open the right nostril to breathe in again. (This is one round–it will always end with breathing in through the right nostril.)
- Close both nostrils for a second, then breathe out through the left.
- Close both nostrils. Hold for a second. Inhale through the right.
- You can repeat the rounds up to 5 times, ending this practice with an inhale through the right nostril. Close your eyes, and let yourself feel the effects for a few moments.
Need to calm down? Try “Moon-Piercing”:
- Hold right nostril closed with your right hand and breathe in through the left.
- Hold both nostrils for a moment, and exhale out the right. Close both nostrils again and breathe in through your left nostril. (This will be one round–always ending with breathing in through the left nostril)
- You can repeat this for up to 5 rounds. Keep your eyes closed for a few moments when finished, and just let yourself feel the effects.